Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Orky Shortcuts

I thought I would share a few shortcuts that I have been using to muster up my Waaaaaagh! They can be adapted for use in most armies.

Bear in mind that I am painting 120 Orks, and I am doing it fast. The close ups are a bit rough, but I am only looking to achieve tabletop quality on these guys.  My army will gain most of it's attraction by well painted centerpiece models and a good color scheme. Remember on large armies that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts!

I am using the Army Painter Uniform Grey primer on these models. When you use a colored primer, your first instinct is to grab a bright colored can that matches your army color (blue, red, yellow, green, etc...). That works for some armies like Space Marines, but you will get more mileage out of a neutral color. I currently own Uniform Grey and Desert Yellow and have used them on several armies from different games. You can wash a neutral color with different washes to change the color of an area while maintaining color harmony.

I washed the entire model, sans pants with Agrax Earthshade, but washed the pants with Drakenhoff Nightshade to give the Ork blue pants. A little change in color with much less work than actually painting blue pants.


The model on the left isn't washed yet. He has Uniform Grey pants and tunic. The model on the right has both washes on him. A quick drybrush of Skink Blue and the pants are done.


I am utilizing the Uniform Grey primer on their choppas as well. This choppa has been washed with Agrax Earthshade.


I add a jagged edge with Administratum Grey.


To help the Choppas stand apart from the other grey parts, I wash it with Reikland Fleshshade. This also gives it a slight rusty appearance.


Now a final jagged edge of Runefang Steel. The only metallic paint used on the model.



The completed Gorkanaut is next!

No comments:

Post a Comment