Thursday, July 4, 2013

Flames of War: My Grandfather's Army

Back when Warmachines Mark 2 was still in playtest mode, I had accumulated all of the Cygnar and Trollbloods that I wanted to. Instead of starting a new faction (We had a regular gaming group of 8 guys, so each faction was represented in my basement) I decided that painting 15mm World War 2 models would be a great challenge.

I'm not sure why it took me so long, but I decided to recreate my Grandfather's company from the war. He was a Staff Sargent in the 34 Infantry division 135 Infantry Regiment Cannon Company. From what information I have gathered, he led a platoon of three T30 motorized cannons during the North Africa Campaign.

For the game, I am building up a Midwar US Infantry Company (my 2nd US Infantry Company...much to my wife's chagrin, there is a 3rd as well) His platoon is a support platoon within that company. The entire company will be based around the terrain from the Battle of Hill 609 in Tunisia, the first place where the US Infantry division distinguished itself as first rate warriors.

Fun fact about his division: The 34th Infantry division spent more time in front line combat than any other US division, 517 days!

My Grandpa Donny loved cartoon, and though I cannot confirm this, I have been told that his 3 half tracks were named Donald, Mickey, and Goofy. So that is how I painted them.


I guess I need to learn how to use my camera...


I used Secret Weapon weathering powder 'Burning Sands' on the vehicles. I think it turned out pretty well.

I free hand the names and the flags on my vehicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment