Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Hobbit: Goblin Tutorial

I am a Tolkien junkie, and it was only a matter of time before I broke down and bought the Hobbit: Escape from Goblin Town game set. Unfortunately, they don't give you a tutorial on how to correctly paint the goblins that come with it. If you look at the studio paint scheme, they don't really match the goblins from the movie, so I came up with my own method.

The goblins are pretty monochromatic in the film, so I decided to see how far I could push the model with only washes. Here is how I did it.

Step 1: After a grey primer, I basecoated the model with Rakarth Flesh. This was recommended by the goblin paint set.


Step 2: To start off with our monochromatic scheme, I wash the entire model with Seraphim Sepia. I believe the studio used carroburg crimson as a base wash, but that gave the goblins a purple cast, and the goblins in the movie were more yellow.


Step 3: Now to highlight the boils and such, I wash around them with Carroburg Crimson.


Step 4: To set apart the other elements from the skin, I washed the sword, loin cloth, and any other material with Agrax Earthshade. I washed the hair with Nuln Oil. The Nuln Oil gave the hair a blue cast and helped set it apart from the rest of the model.


Step 5: I wash the sword with Reikland Fleshshade to add a rusty appearance.


Step 6: For the final step I layered all of the skin with Screaming Skull, I added some rusty spots to the sword with Deathclaw Brown, and painted the base Dryad Bark. I used Army Painter Ash battlefield for the basing grit.


No comments:

Post a Comment