Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fire Beetle

Sorry about the delay, but I just had to drive halfway across the country and my painting suffered for it. While I am gone, in addition to a Khador Batallion, I am going to try and paint up the bulk of the Caverns of Roxor expansion for SDE.

I am going with a blue and purple scheme for these guys, and this was my first test with the palette. I think it turned out really well.

Step 1: For the basecoat I used Naggaroth Night on the carapace, The Fang on the remainder of his body, Death World Forest for his mandibles, claws, and underbelly, Troll Slayer Orange for the flames ( 2 or 3 coats), Black for the Eye, and Mechanicus Standard Grey for the base.


Step 2: I washed everything but the flames with Nuln Oil, and washed the flames with Carroburg Crimson.


Step 3: Next I started layering. Xereus Purple on the carapace. Thunderhawk Blue on the skin, Ogryn Flesh on the claws, etc..., and Troll Slayer Orange on the flames.


Step 4: The second layer was Genestealer Purple on the carapace, Fenrisian Grey on the skin, Ushabti Bone on the mandibles etc...., and Fire Dragon Bright on the flames.


Step 5: For the highlights I used Ungor Flesh on the flames, Pallid Wych Flesh on the Carapace, Ulthuan Grey on the skin, and Screaming skull on the claws etc... I used pure white to put a catch light in the eye. I gave the rocks a drybrush of Longbeard Grey and then cleaned up the rim with Mechanicus Standard Grey.


So Fierce!

No comments:

Post a Comment