Friday, February 22, 2013

Terrain Workshop: Retribution Forests

Here we are at the last piece of Retribution terrain. This is probably the most common piece of terrain on the battlefield. Apparently battles are always fought near forests...

Most forests consist of a green template, maybe felt, with a couple of trees placed on it. I like forests to look a little more realistic, while still being function pieces of gameplay. That is why I mount all of my trees on a smaller template. You can decorate the smaller templates very heavily, and never impact the balance of the models.

The art in the Retribution faction book has a lot of barren pine branches in it, so I made all of the trees pine trees. I only added foliage to half of the trees. To give it the Retribution feel, I added some blocks of white ruins with acrylic gems.

The main forest templates are about 6"x8" and organically shaped. The templates are bare except for flocking so models don't tip over when they stand on them. The smaller tree templates are about 3" circles.

Step 1: I never throw a piece of foam away because even the scraps are useful.


Step 2: I draw out the runes with a pencil.


Step 3: I glue them to the tree templates with tacky glue. After the tacky glue is dry, I paint on a layer of Mod Podge.


Step 4: I have a minion paint them Delta Ceramcote Sea Foam


Step 5: Then I make him stipple the tops of the blocks with white.


Step 6: I guess I have been lying through the rest of the terrain articles. The color is called Mint Green, not Aqua Mint...but I paint the runes with it anyways.


Step 7: Add some moss with texture gel.


Step 8: Glue on an acrylic gem. Like usual, I paint them with a 3 step process.


Step 9: Glue the trees on. I don't have a photo of it, but I use hot glue to attach the foliage to the armatures. I am using Medium and Dark Woodland Scenics foliage.


Step 10: Flock the forest templates with our Retribution blend.


Step 11: Put the flock on the tree templates too.


Step 12: One of the finished forests...looks much better than 2 trees on felt.


Step 13: The other finished forest.


The Minion I make paint my terrain pieces



The next batch of terrain will be Khador themed, and will serves double duty as terrain for an IKRPG campaign that I will be running.

No comments:

Post a Comment