Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fire Gel Tutorial

Sorry this didn't go up yesterday as planned, but it took me longer to figure out the paint scheme than I thought it would. Painting fire is always tricky, but I found a pretty simple way to make a good looking Fire Gel.

Step 1: I undercoat the gel with Averland Sunset and the base with Mechanicus Standard Grey. I use as big of a brush as possible when basecoating to speed things up. This is a cheap 1/4" flat brush from a hobby store.


Step 2: I basecoat the gel with Troll Slayer Orange. It took me 2 coats to get good coverage.


Step 3: I washed the gel with Carroburg Crimson.


Step 4: I reclaimed most of the orange with Troll Slayer once more. These GW oranges aren't very opaque..


Step 5: I layered on Fire Dragon Bright.


Step 6: I highlighted the gel with Ungor Flesh...looking good.


Step 7: I painted the eyes with Pallid Wych Flesh. It has a purple cast to it, which will contrast well with the fiery body of the gel.


Step 8: Here I washed the base with Nuln Oil.


Step 9: I lined the eyes with Druuchi Violet.


Step 10: I edged the stones with Administratum Grey and some Fire Dragon Bright


Step 11: I highlighted the eyes with White Scar. Finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment