Monday, February 25, 2013

Dock Base

I have been trying to think of some nautical bases I could use for my pirate themed Cryx force. I tried to model my leviathan attacking a ship, but with the limited room on a 50mm base, I couldn't get as good of a ship representation as I would like. So I came up with the idea of a dock. It is much easier to model, and the Cryx are always attacking port towns anyways.

Step 1: Here are the materials for the base. You could make several of these bases with just 2 sticks of balsa.

From the 1/8" x 3/16" cut the following:

1@ 1-1/2" (A)
3@ 1" (B)

From the 1/16" x 1/4" cut the following:

5 @ 1-5/8" (C)

The 2 posts on the left side of the pic got tossed, so don't worry about them.


Step 2: Super Glue the 3 legs (B pieces) to the A piece like so.


Step 3: Now glue one of the C pieces across the assembly. This is going to serve as a shim to make the dock level with the rim of the base.


Step 4: Now Super glue the frame shim side down onto the base.


Step 5: Using super glue again, attach the rest of the planks to the frame.


Step 6: Here I used a pencil to add wood grain and nail holes. You can't see it here, but I trimmed the shim on a 45 degree angle inwards so it can't be seen very easily. It is more visible in the next pic.


Step 7: Prime the base. You can see the shim isn't sticking out anymore.


Step 8: I basecoat the wood with Mournfang Brown, and the water with Incubi Darkness.


Step 9: I added some wavy lines with Russ Grey, and gave the wood a wash with Reikland Flesh Shade and drybrushed a few browns over it. Don't worry about the lines too much, most of them will be covered when the model is mounted on the base.


No comments:

Post a Comment