Sunday, January 6, 2013

Skin Fades

The human eye is drawn to contrast, whether it be a change of color, texture, or brightness, adding contrast to your miniatures is a sure way to make them stand out. Changing the color of a beast's fists is a good way draw attention to it's natural weapons. It is also a good way to add a splash of color to a limited palette.

The fists of my dire trolls all fade into green, so the large fists of the Mountain King are the perfect area to show you how I do a fade. This can probably be done with an airbrush, but I did this with a trusty old brush.

Step 1: Basecoat. I have purple trolls, hense the Daemonette Hide color.


Step 2: To start the fade effect I layer on an intermediate color. In this case, on the color wheel purple and green are separated by blue, so this intermediate layer is blue. I am using 'The Fang', which is a neutral blue. Make your paint strokes follow the contours of the muscles and skin to help them blend in.


Step 3: Now for the final color, Caliban Green. Be sure to leave some of the blue showing.


Step 4: Start layering on your highlights, starting with the main color. Here I highlight the purple skin with Warpfiend Grey. Then I highlight the blue areas with Fenrisian Grey.


Step 5: Now layer on the green highlights, being careful to leave some blue showing. 


Here is a wider view of the finished skin.


No comments:

Post a Comment