Friday, January 4, 2013

Retribution Terrain Set: Starter

To go with my Winter's Hammer task force, I decided to make a new set of terrain with a Retribution theme.  Over the next few weeks I will be going step by step as I make each piece of terrain.


I start with a 2'x2' piece of 1/8" MDF and I draw out all of the terrain pieces:

2 8x8 hills
2 hilltops
2 6x8 forests
4 2x4 forest stands
2 5x5 ruins
2 5x5 structures
4 round obstructions 2" or 3"
2 1x6" walls
1 Marsh
1 Marsh stand

Using a jigsaw I cut out all of the pieces.


Using a utility knife I bevel all of the edges to help the pieces blend into the board.


I use wood glue to attach the hill tops to the hills.


A new set of terrain deserves a custom blend of ground cover. All of these are from Woodland Scenics. Because of the forest theme, I am going to do a forest floor look for the flocking. Forest floors have very little green in them, as they are mostly made of dead and decaying leaves and needles. I started with Earth blend for the base, but wanted it to be a bit darker. I added some Soil to the mix. Then I added some coarse turf to the mix for added textural interest, fall rust, medium green, yellow, and orange. The recipe is as follows:

1/2 cup Earth blend
1/4 cup soil
1 tbsp rust
1 tbsp green
1 tbsp yellow
1tbsp orange


Here is is spread out. Looks pretty foresty to me!


Retribution has a lot of half rounds in their structures. At the craft store, I found half acrylic gems that will make my life a lot easier.


Now that everything is ready to go, we can get some terrain going. See ya next Friday for the first pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment