Thursday, December 20, 2012

WIP: Storm Strider

I was lamenting to my buddy Mark about my need to hone my airbrushing skills, but I am too afraid to try it on my own models. After he won a Storm Strider for a 'Master Craftsman' award, he had enough faith in my abilities to hand it over and let me airbrush it.

I am using Reaper MSP paints and thinning them 20% with Windex so they go through the airbrush. A couple of the colors require an extra drop or 2 of the Windex to get the right consistency, but I think that has more to do with the age of the paint than the specific color.

So far my airbrush has been used to prime and basecoat some Flames of War pieces, and put some camo on a couple of tanks. I thought that I really ought to get some more use out of it. I think it has potential to be an efficient way of basecoating models as well as finishing large surfaces. For me personally, I don't see it replacing my brushes anytime soon, but I think it will be a valuable addition to my arsenal of techniques.

Here is the Storm Generator. I did the NMM steel with the airbrush, the rest is brush painted. Obviously it isn't finished yet. I am really pleased with how this turned out. I started with Dusky Skin, then went to Rainy Grey, Misty Grey, and a final highlight of Linen White.


Here is a view of the legs and platform. I think it looks like a piece for Retribution, but I hope that changes once the olive gets turned into gold. Mark wanted this Strider to be look different than his other one, so we replaced the blue armor with white armor. I plan on doing the arch blue so it still fits in with his other pieces.


Here is a top view of the NMM on the platform. This piece was infinitely better to paint than the Vessel of Judgement! Next time you see this, it will be done!


No comments:

Post a Comment