Sunday, October 14, 2012

Snow Base

Since my Circle Army has a snowy theme, I thought I would share the way that I do snow bases. These are sparse on vegetation, and after I get the army all painted, I will go back and add more details to the bases. GF9 Static Grass Straw is a good basing material for winter bases.

1. To start off I glued a piece of cork to the base. After the glue dried, I painted the cork Mechanicus Standard Grey. Although you can't see it, I painted the base Dryad Bark. That is just a small security measure in case I miss a spot with snow, it will look like frozen dirt. After that was all dry, I mixed Fenrisian Grey with Liquitex Blended Fibers Texture Gel and spread that all over the base and put a little bit on the rock. Let that dry thoroughly before you continue. Because I am antsy, I do this step before I go to sleep or before I go to work, so I'm not tempted to poke at it and mess things up.


2. Now that the gel medium is dry, I paint some patches of Ulthuan Grey around the base.


3. Using Praxetti White, I heavily drybrush the snow.


4. I add a Winter Tuft from army painter near the cork. Looks pretty chilly to me..


No comments:

Post a Comment